Types of Wage & Hour Clients in Newport Beach
Our Wage & Hour Attorneys Represent Workers throughout California
In California, there are several laws in place that protect employees, some of the most important being those pertaining to wage and hour regulations. When an employee believes that their employer has failed to pay them the wages or benefits they are owed, that worker as the right to file a wage claim against their employer to recover those unpaid wages or benefits.
At the Carter Law Firm, our employment law attorneys handled cases for all types of wage and hour clients in Newport Beach.
We have over 70 years of collective experience representing those who have been wronged in matters pertaining to:
- Unpaid overtime
- Rest and meal period violations
- Paystub violations
- Failure to reimburse for business expenses
Restaurant & Hotel Employees
In the restaurant industry, clients include:
- Kitchen staff
- Wait staff
Typical clients in the hotel industry include:
- Kitchen and banquet staff
- Room service
- Other hourly employees
Some typical wage and hour violations affecting employees in this industry include:
- Not allowing employees to receive minimum 30-minute meal periods within the first five hours of work. These employees must be free to leave the premises, relieved of all duties and not required to work in any way.
- Employers must clearly communicate that employees are authorized and permitted to take paid ten-minute rest periods for every four hours or major fraction thereof worked. Employees are entitled to one hour's pay for every day they have not received a proper meal or rest period.
- Forcing employees to work over eight hours per day or forty hours per week.
- Forcing employees to perform any tasks before clocking in or clocking out (including getting in or out of uniform, running errands, etc.).
- Forcing employees to report to work for less than half their regular shift. These employees may not be sent home without being paid for at least a half day's shift of not less than two nor more than four hours.
Workers in the computer and high-tech industry are often misclassified by employers as exempt from overtime. These employees are often called upon to work over eight hours per day, forty hours per week, and seven consecutive workdays without being compensated for their overtime. For more information on how Carter Law Firm can assist computer professionals, please visit our overtime page.
Home Loan & Bank Employees
All employees are entitled to be reimbursed for expenses, such as automotive and cell phone costs, incurred in performing their job duties. Commissioned bank home loan sales employees and others in both retail and wholesale groups are often not permitted to submit expenses for reimbursement.
Generally, in California, employees must be reimbursed for all expenses incurred in connection with their work. This cannot be altered by contract – that is, the employer cannot require employees to agree to pay for expenses incurred in discharging job duties. In addition, employees are entitled to recover un-reimbursed expenses dating back up to four years, with interest.
All workers are protected by California labor law. If you believe your rights have been violated in relation to wage and hour laws, contact us online or by phone at our number (949) 239-0419 now for effective legal representation.
Results That Speak for Themselves
Cisco $20 Million
Confidential Defendant $17.4 Million
Bank of America $16.7 Million
Abercrombie & Fitch $9.6 Million
Toys 'R' Us $7.5 Million
Verizon Wireless $6.9 Million
Big Lots $6.5 Million
Sprint $4.9 Million
Paramount $2.4 Million
Bed Bath & Beyond $2 Million